Facts about getting help

Q: Do I have to live in BC to benefit from the fund?

A: Yes, beneficiaries must reside in British Columbia to be eligible.

Q: I work in the hospitality industry, but my wife does not. If she becomes critically ill, can we apply to the foundation for support?

A: Yes, if you work in the Hospitality Industry and a need arises for your spouse or child you can apply on behalf of them for support.

Q: All I have to do to receive a cheque is fill in a form, right?

A: No – the application is only part of the process. After the form is filled out you will likely be interviewed over the phone in order to come to a final decision which will include more detailed questions.

Q: Can I combine a financial award from BCHF with my extended medical plan?

A: An extended medical plan and financial assistance from the BCHF are unrelated. However, if you receive benefits you may not qualify for support from the BCHF.

Q: Does the BCHF cover lost wages?

A: No, the BCHF does not cover lost wages.

Q: I’ve worked in the hospitality industry since I was a teenager but now that I am in my mid-20s, I want to pursue an education in computer technology. Am I eligible for a scholarship?

A: No, scholarships are awarded to students enrolled in a qualifying program in the hospitality industry. Check out our scholarship page.

Q: I work for a company that mainly sells supplies to hotels and restaurants.  Am I eligible for support?

A: If a person’s livelihood depends on the Hospitality Industry they may be eligible. The best thing to do is apply and find out.