Criteria & Eligibility Guidelines
In order to be eligible for funding, applicants must live in BC and work within (or have worked within) the food, beverage, tourism, hospitality industry, or in an industry directly related to it, for at least two years. Work in hospitality should provide the applicant’s main source of income. For example:
- Working in a hotel, restaurant, pub, night club, coffee shop, tourism, etc.
- Foodservice or beverage alcohol distribution, sales, marketing, or retail
- Foodservice or beverage alcohol producer, including wineries, breweries and distilleries
- Media, PR, and consultants related to any of the above
Applicants must show a clear and imminent financial need for support and that medical and benefit plans and any other insurance options have been explored. Requests must be specific, tangible, and finite in scope, arising from a specific medical circumstance (injury, disability and/or rehabilitation).
There is a financial limit to any one award, based on each individual case and the availability of funds.
Applicants must have explored all other avenues of support in order to be eligible for assistance from our organization. This may include Employment Insurance and/or extended health benefits. The BCHF does not cover lost wages.
In some cases we will match funds raised at third-party events organized by an Applicant’s employer and/or friends and colleagues. We utilize our limited funds to support those who need our help the most. The BCHF aims to help people get back on their feet and return to work when their medical condition subsides. Sometimes situations involve individuals experiencing life-or-death situations with critical medical needs, who would be facing homelessness without our help.
If you are in doubt whether you are eligible, please apply. Each application is reviewed on its own merits.
Please help us review your situation promptly by including in your application:
- Any applicable supporting medical documents
- Your current resume (or a detailed description of your current and/or past working experience) showing that you have worked in BC’s hospitality industry for at least two years within the past five years.
As well, funded recipients will be asked whether they agree to allow the Foundation to publicly and respectfully share their names and stories. This will help us promote and grow the foundation’s visibility and credibility, and ultimately our trust fund.
You can fill out the online application form BELOW or you can print the application an application and send it by mail to: