In addition to showcasing the latest hospitality industry trends and innovations, the Trends Breakfast on November 3 at the CONNECT Food + Drink + Lodging trade show in Vancouver, BC was host to the 2014 BC Hospitality Foundation “Our Future Leaders” scholarship presentation. Each scholarship had a value of $1500.00 towards further education.
With the generous support of the Foundation’s industry partners, this year’s scholarship awards were presented to ten students across British Columbia who demonstrated leadership and outstanding performance in the BC hospitality industry.
The “Our Future Leaders” scholarships see students from LinkBC’s hospitality members chosen on their merits as strong academic performers with superior work experience and social skills. The students were welcomed to Vancouver for a VIP experience at the CONNECT show including transportation, accommodation and other perks.
Richard Carras, chair of the BCHF, awarded hospitality certificates to the following students:
- Ghalia Ghoul, Vancouver Island University – The Peter Toigo Sr. Scholarship, Supported by White Spot
- Spencer Brown, Royal Roads University – Supported by Delta Hotels & Resorts
- Colin Calder, Canadian Tourism College
- Sany Chen, Selkirk College – Supported by the BC Hotel Association
- Angela Curtis, North Island College – Supported by Silverbirch Hotels & Resorts
- Karla Foronda, Douglas College – Bert Konings Scholarship
- Kristin Lowey, University of the Fraser Valley – Supported by Sysco Vancouver
- Catrina Pengelley, Vancouver Community College – Lothar Heinrich Scholarship, Supported by the BC Hotel Association
- Branden Rubenstein, Camosun College
- David Speigelman, Okanagan College – Supported by the Thompson Okanagan Tourism Association
Three culinary scholarships were also presented, supported and selected by the Chefs’ Table Society of BC (CTS), each with a $1500.00 value. Scott Jaeger, president of the CTS, awarded hospitality certificates to the following students:
- Brandi Gollan, Northwest Culinary Academy – Supported by GFS
- Jason Gaun, Burnaby Central Secondary, Supported by Sysco
- Dayna Duckworth, Okanagan College, Supported by Silverbirch Hotels & Resorts
Special thanks to Terry Bubb (LinkBC and Scholarship Liason), Morgan Westcott (LinkBC), Scott Jaeger (Chefs’ Table Society of BC), Bing Smith (BCHF Past Chair) and Dawn Donahue (BCHF Scholarship Committee Chair and BCHF Board of Advisors).
Watch the full video of the presentation HERE, courtesy of Scott White at Shinobi Creative Productions who donated his time and services.
“Today we’re talking about the future leaders we can help and the students that we’re supporting. That’s what the scholarship program is all about. We’re always impressed with the calibre and professionalism of the students and this year was no exception. Thank you to our sponsors and supporters who are helping these students taking their dreams to fruition.” – Alan Sacks, BCHF executive director
“Working with these students is a highlight of the year, and the students certainly wow-ed the industry attendees at the Connect show.” – Terry Bubb, LinkBC Network Ambassador