Terry Threlfall Scholarship Fund
Seed money comes from the Meyer Family Vineyards Tribute series program. The winery donated the funds to the Threlfall family, who have requested the donations be directed to the BC Hospitality Foundation.
Born and raised in BC, Terry Threlfall was influential on the local, national, and international wine scenes. Career highlights included:
- Developing a groundbreaking wine program as Wine Director at Hawksworth
- Repeatedly holding the position of Festival Sommelier at the Vancouver International Wine Festival (VIWF), one of the biggest and oldest wine events in the world
- In 2012, being named Sommelier of the Year by Vancouver magazine, the VIWF, and California’s Sunset Magazine
- Being the first Canadian Sommelier to be a regular Decanter panelist
- Six years as Head Sommelier and Wine Buyer at London’s Michelin-starred Chez Bruce
- Five years as Wine Buyer at London’s prestigious Selfridges
Terry passed away unexpectedly in October 2020, at the age of 43. He continues to be missed by his family, friends, and colleagues in the industry, who remember him as much for his warm personality, intelligence, and integrity as for his consummate professional skills and knowledge.
The Terry Threlfall Scholarship will be awarded annually to an individual pursuing further wine knowledge at an eligible BC post-secondary institution. The scholarship will be presented at the Vancouver International Wine Festival Awards Lunch.
Thanks to Meyer Family Vineyards for generously providing the scholarship seed money with an initial $1000 donation.
Terry’s brother, Dan Threlfall, notes “It’s hard to believe it’s already been a year since we lost Terry. Speaking on behalf of our whole family, we think it’s a wonderful thing to have this opportunity to create a legacy in his memory. Terry always welcomed the chance to act as a mentor for others in the wine community, so I’m sure the idea of a scholarship in his name would have pleased him very much.”
The scholarship is a partnership between Canadian Association of Professional Sommeliers (CAPS), Vancouver International Wine Festival (VIWF), BC Hospitality Foundation (BCHF), Meyer Family Vineyards and the Threlfall family. The annual scholarship named for him will be awarded to a student pursuing further education in wine knowledge at an eligible BC post-secondary institution
All applications MUST include a short introduction video emailed to TerryThrelfallScholarship@nullVanWineFest.ca
Applicants may be nominated by peers.
Applications close on April 30, 2022